For the Hemp Seed Pesto:
- 1/2 cup raw hemp seed butter
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast for a vegan option
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Pasta:
- 8 oz (about 2 cups) of your favorite pasta (e.g., spaghetti, fettuccine)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup baby spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup sprouted sunflower seeds (optional for garnish)
- nutritional yeast for topping (optional)
Cook the pasta according to the package instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
To make the Hemp Seed Pesto, combine all the pesto ingredients in a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. If the pesto is too thick, you can add a bit more olive oil.
In a large mixing bowl, toss the cooked pasta with the Hemp Seed Pesto until the pasta is well coated.
Gently fold in the cherry tomatoes and baby spinach. The heat from the pasta will slightly wilt the spinach.
Serve the creamy Hemp Seed Pesto Pasta in bowls, garnish with toasted pine nuts, and add some grated Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast if desired.
This dish combines the nutty creaminess of hemp seed butter with the fresh flavors of basil and the vibrant colors of cherry tomatoes and spinach, making it a delicious and nutritious pasta sauce alternative. Enjoy!